In Search Engine Optimization (SEO), you have to identify and strictly follow certain rules to guarantee success. Here are some of them:
- Use keywords or keyword phrases in your page title, headings, content title and body, anchor text and backlinks.
- Write two-sentence description for meta tag. Though limited with 200 characters, make sure that that it is compelling and understandable.
- Make your page title different from your article title or first heading (h1).
- Organize your website by creating an easy-to-follow navigation design so search engines can ‘tour’ your site with ease.
- Insert hyperlinks to offer straightforward navigation paths to visitors and search engine spiders.
- Publish content that is accurate in information, correct in grammar and spelling, easy to read and interesting to the eyes of the visitors – not only crawlers.
- Include Alt text in your images so they can be crawled at and read by search engines.
- Make sure that the anchor text will lead them to the appropriate content.
- Write your own, unique content. If you cannot do this, hire a writer. This will ensure the high quality of your articles.
- Include videos, testimonials and reviews in your site. This increases your site’s chances of being visited and indexed. Users also search for this, especially if they need words of assurance or guarantee to the product or service that they require.
- Participate in forums that are highly active. Search engine spiders frequent forums, but they ignore inactive ones.
- Incorporate the social media in your SEO campaign – Facebook especially.
- Use Google Analytics to keep track of the value of your keywords and keyword phrases.
- When you write your content, see to it that you are sharing information and not doing any hard-selling.
- Do not stuff you website with keywords. If you do, you will reduce the value of your site.
- Do not go for dynamic URLs. Search engines, as well as Internet users, will not be able to understand the content of the web page easily. Use static URLs instead. As soon as they read it, they already get the idea of what the content is all about.
- Never hide texts (usually keywords and keyword phrases) by coloring them with the same shade of the background. Search engines will read them along with the other keywords that you place in the web page. It will only appear that you are practicing keyword stuffing. Hence, you are diminishing the value of your site to search engines.
- Avoid copying content from sites. You will be ‘charged’ for duplication of content.
- Do not participate in a forum if you have no knowledge about the topic in discussion. It may be relevant to your product or service, but you still need to research to share an intellectual input.
- Never play a trick with search engines. They know if you are trying to cheat them. This may work to your disadvantage.
- Do not believe that because you have performed tasks related to effective SEO you are guaranteed with increased traffic. The end result of your SEO still depends on the quality and functionality of your website.
If you want your website to place higher (if not in the top spot) in search engine results pages, you have to follow rules. You also have to apply techniques. This is to be able to guarantee Return of Investments or ROI.